Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Biennial at Turtle Bay

So I got back on Monday from delivering my big painting "Burn" to Redding, CA. It will be in the Turtle Bay Exploration Park Museum's "West Coast Biennial". I had to take out all the seats in our minivan including the front passenger, which meant unscrewing it from the floor and disconnecting the electrical sensors for the passenger airbag and seat belt light. With that done the painting just barely fit, with about 1 inch of wiggle room. 8 hours later I was checking into a Motel 6.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the museum itself but the place is pretty cool. It's an odd mishmash museum covering science, nature, history, and oh yeah... art. They have a smallish aquarium, a large arboretum, some outdoor aviaries, displays of native American history, Logging History and so on. At the time there was also a special exhibition about Candy. Totally random.


"Sweets - A Tasty Journey" Jan. 17 - May 13, 2015
This is their third Biennial. I'm especially honored to be included since the judge for this is Bonnie Laing-Malcolmson, the curator of Northwest Art at the Portland Art Museum. Doesn't hurt to get your work in front of people like that. Thank you Bonnie!

The museum will be sending shots of the show once it is all hung and I'll share those here when I get them.

1 comment:

cile said...

This is great, David!